FORT FRANCES - The Falls High School boys' hockey team fell to the Fort Frances Muskies by a score of 4-2 on the road Thursday evening in the second edition of the Border Battle for the 2018-19 season.
The loss put the Broncos' record at 7-12-1.
- Brady Wicklund at 11:16 into the second period
- Brady Wicklund at 3:29 into the third period
The Muskies got on the board early in the first period, sneaking the puck past Bronco goalie Max Marcotte.
However, both teams played well defensively throughout the rest of the period, with both the Muskies and Broncos making plays on the net only to have the opposing goalies make the save.
The first ten minutes of the second period was played the same way, but the Broncos finally broke through with an unassisted goal by sophomore forward Brady Wicklund 11 minutes into the period.
The Muskies responded three minutes later, getting a goal to get the lead back.
In the third period, the Muskies got their third goal of the evening in the first minute, putting the Broncos in a two-goal hole to climb out of.
Wicklund got his second goal of the night a few minutes later, cutting the Muskie lead to a single goal.
The Broncos made shot after shot at the Muskie goal but could not get one in. The Muskies sealed the victory with an empty-net goal in the last second of the game.
Head coach George McDonald said the Broncos suffered from not having a strong start during Thursday's game.
"I don't think we came out strong in the first period," he said. "After the first period we started taking it to them. We had our chances, but we couldn't capitalize and I think that really made the difference tonight."
The Broncos went on to fall to the Kittson Central Bearcats 7-6 at home Saturday afternoon.
Goal scorers were:
- Kian Gonzales (assisted by Brady Wicklund and Jaxon Germain) at 3:25 into the first period
- Brady Wicklund (assisted by Anthony Saari) at 6:20 into the first period
- Brenden Benike at 10:39 into the first period
- Jaxon Germain (assisted by Brady Wicklund and Kian Gonzales) at 10:34 into the second period
- Brady Wicklund (assisted by Jaxon Germain) at 11:53 into the second period
- Simon Palm (assisted by Bradyn Dremmel and Tucker Hell) at 1:23 into the third period
More to come
The Broncos will be back on the ice at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, when they host the Greenway Raiders.